Today I was reminded of the inequities in our communities. This was the initial driver for the formation of the Manaiakalani learning model. The programme is now over 15 years old and is constantly transforming to reflect community needs and societal changes, including developments in technology. The sessions today were a good reminder to be mindful of 'pick and mix' - choosing and using what serves us and the needs of our students, rather than trying to do everything. Thanks Dorothy for the reminder - we don't have to do it all. I will use the talk to text function with the template shared with me. I wasn't aware I could change the text to English - New Zealand - which will really make a difference. Expecting children to re-read and make sense of errors and correct them was more fun this way too. Workflow will hopefully be better as I am more aware of functions available in Docs - many hours have been spent trying to sort pages made in Google Drawing.
Another very busy session, I have a heap to learn. It was great to delve into Create with Dorothy earlier today. The discussion and associated links/research further validated our children having opportunities to design, build, garden, dig into compost bins, hold wriggly slimy tiger worms, investigate playground projects and decide collectively how to move forward with what we want to do next. Actively being involved in decisions and actions is obviously engaging for our students. The word ako is being used more often and power of our team is gaining momentum - both in words and actions. I loved having time on Youtube to develop playlists. I used the time to investigate the whale stranding in Golden Bay and make playlists which I can share with the class. I will work with colleagues to keep up skilling.
Well I've just listened to the exam comments from our bubble group - it sounds like there were more than a few challenges that required some 'out of the box' thinking - which is the point of this whole DFI exercise! It's always interesting to hear how people problem solve, use innovation and creativity, with a heap of patience. Great to hear 'hiccups' are fed back to Google, and that they respond. The American Paris fieldtrip situation and private messaging students were way outside the scope of what we consider appropriate in NZ, but are interesting differences to consider. It's been a good opportunity to go back to the agendas, check my notes and pick up on some of the learning. I redesigned some of my class website to include multi-modal platforms. I'm trying to work smarter so I have time to include engaging resources, that don't have to be reinvented for each group - just accessible by using screen castify, and other tools we've used in D...
Comments
Post a Comment